Kids Fairy Costume Tutorial
Shiny Rainbow Top with Halter Neckline
No Fairy skirt would be complete without a shimmery top to go with it! This is a quick, three-step project to make a top that coordinates with Part 1 of this project, DIY Fairy Costume Skirt and Part 3, DIY Fairy Wings.
There are plenty of ways to create this, but, as usual, I took the simple route... which means I basically just sewed a simple tube top, then used snaps to attach the halter. Easy details below!
DIY Fairy Top Materials
- 1/2 yard Sequin Fabric
- 2 yards Floral Ribbon
- Package of Snaps (I used Gripper Snap Fasteners)
- Sewing Machine and Thread (or you can hand-sew the seam)
DIY Fairy Top Instructions
- Cut Fabric to Length: Since I know I'm going to want to layer a tee-shirt under it for trick-or-treating, I wanted to leave some extra room, so the top isn't too fitted. Here's how I did it: Measure around your fairy's chest. Add 1/2" to that number (for seam allowance).
- Pin Sides Together: Line up the ends, right sides together, and pin (this will create the back seam).
- Sew Together: Sew a straight line to create the back seam. Turn inside out. You've got your TUBE!
- Measure for Snaps to Connect Halter Top: Determine how long to cut your ribbon to make the halter top. Place pins on the fabric AND on the ribbons to mark where you will place your snaps.
- Attach Snaps: Follow the directions on the package to attach the snaps to your materials.
I chose not to hem the top and bottom of the top because the rough edges of the fabric roll naturally (and less work that way!).
See? Super duper easy.
Find tutorials for both other pieces of this costume here: DIY Fairy Skirt and DIY Fairy Wings.
Or for more easy Halloween ideas, check out these posts, too: DIY Witch Costumes, DIY Shark Costume.
And hey, are we connected yet? If not, find me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Google+, and Bloglovin so we can start sharing ideas together!