New Uses for Antique Printing Press Drawers
Adding Vintage Utilitarian Charm to Your Home
I am a sucker for old stuff... that's no surprise, I know... but old stuff that used to be fundamental to now outdated processes? Forget it... I'm sold. So when I saw these typecases listed on Craigslist, I didn't waste any time scooping them up. But then the question remains: what do we do with them?
My husband was pleased to find out that I wasn't keeping them all (he's hoping for more space in the garage, not less!), but I did have some fun staging them around the house in various ways. In the meantime, I've listed the remaining ones in my Etsy shop, so if you're in the market, have a look!
Here are some of the uses we came up with in my house:
Uses for Antique Printing Press Drawers and Trays:
1. Matchbox Car Display ShelfSick of stepping on those matchbox cars? Use the tray as a "garage" for them--it'll keep them accessible for the kiddos, and they can be responsible for putting them away when they're done!
2. Craft Room OrganizationUse it to store spools and bobbins in your craft or sewing. Plus, it gives is some colorful character.
3. Organize Your Essential Oils and SerumsTurn the tray horizontally, and the narrow, rectangular compartments are the perfect size for the vials used for essential oils and face serums. I was even able to squeeze some face cream in there, too!
4. Display Treats or Make into an Advent CalendarDum dums aren't the only candy that can fit inside these compartments. It could also be a fun addition to a kids' birthday party or a new spin on trick-or-treating!
5. Dress up your Dining Table or Coffee Table by Using as a TrayI love how rustic pieces add such character to natural elements (like fresh fruit) and holiday decor. Or, put it on a coffee table to display cool books or scented candles.
So those are some of my ideas for what to do with them! For more inspiration, check out are some of my favorites from around the web:
I've currently got several of these antique letterpress (or printing press typecase) trays listed for sale in my Etsy Shop (The Found Store) if you're looking for one! Or go thrifting and see if you can find your own!
- Love love love how Ms. Biddle's tray incorporates so much color!
|Photo Source: Albert and the Lion|
- This Fall Mantle by Remodelando la casa has me swooning!
|Photo Source: Remodelandolacasa|
- Tonya from Create, Celebrate, Explore painted and repurposed one as a gorgeous Jewelry Organizer.
|Photo Source: Create-Celebrate-Explore|
And hey, are we connected yet? If not, find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Etsy, Google+, and Bloglovin so we can start sharing ideas together!